Sunday, October 5, 2008

Perspectives and Prospectives

Original Post Date February 2007

I've consciously and decidedly taken on a completely new lifestyle. And while it makes me anxious at times, I think I'm going to like it. I'm ready for this: it's time.
After years of indulgence and doing what I want, I'm indulging in restrictions. This weekend, I officially quit drugs for good. Job interviews are coming up so I need to stay clean for those, and then in May I graduate, and I always promised myself I would no longer do drugs once I graduate from college. So there you have it, it's done. And I'm okay with that. In all honestly, I've gotten bored of that lifestyle. For now I'll have to rely on my excellent ball-breaking skills to hang with the boys. It'll do.
I have a dinner table. Finally. And there's just something about having a dinner table that makes me feel grown up. I haven't had one in almost four years now. I have legitimate seats and I can have dinner parties, which I'm oh-so-excited about.
Wait till ya see what happens next.

***

For many semesters, a group I participate in avidly, the Party of the Right, causes me to take on intellectual projects that are both important and challenging. My project this semester is to find meaning. To open my life up to meaning rather than continually running in the other direction. I can't imagine a more important and challenging project and it's the most intimidating one yet.

But along the way, I'm finding that things are falling into place in a way I couldn't have anticipated. Today, I got invited to a final round of interviews for Teach for America, a program that I've come to believe is the most meaningful way for me to spend the next two years of my life. Add to that the fact that they place in Special Education classrooms and I'm sold. The final interview consists of presenting a mock lesson, personal interview, and problem solving activities. Have no doubt that I'll be spending the next few weeks preparing hardcore for this, as it's possibly one of the most important days/challenges I have yet to overcome.

No comments: