Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pre-Semester, Spring of Senior Year

Original Post Date: January 2007

My Senior project is based on my visual interest in anatomy and Da Vinci's founding work of anatomical drawings. I'm using classical approaches to guide my work. A few years ago, a drawing class I was in spent a couple sessions drawing dissected corpses in an anatomy lab, mirroring Da Vinci's original methods. I spent last semester in Anatomy and Neuroanatomy classes and loved everything but the nomenclature. I've since been consistently fascinated with medical dramas. I'm currently seeking access to the anatomy lab so I can base most of my work next semester on actual observation. I'm becoming interested in finding a visual way to show the body's workings. I also need to find some way of making it clear in my art that I'm not as much interested in the morbid aspect of skeletons, which might be more difficult but I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's necessary.
So basically, next semester I'll be completely obsessed with painting/drawing anatomy and studying the Acadians. It's going to be an intense but amazing semester. I finally feel ready to start concentrating again and I believe I've already started to do so. I've done what I needed to do, proven what i had to prove and now it's time to buckle down and do what it is I do.
I've also finally gotten around to focusing on employment once I graduate and have my hierarchy set up. Mohegan Sun is once again at the top of my list where it belongs and the more I think about it the more I think it would be an amazing experience. I mean seriously, finding a nerdy way to encourage debauchery? Sheer genius!
So don't be surprised if I continually post bulletins reciting random information I find amazing, insist on looking up almost everything I have a conversation about, and doodle the central nervous system on a napkin.
As for tonight, I'm going to bed so I can get up at six to go do some research. And by research I mean go digging through the library and the Acadian Archives for original texts that my professor hasn't discovered yet so I can impress both him and the hot married grad student who are mentoring me next semester. No more being mediocre. I can outparty most people, now I'm going to outnerd a bunch more.
Post research, I'm going to catch up on the extra Brain and Thought assignments I never got around to doing. I doubt they'll count much for credit anymore, but the extra work will prep me better for the final, and I just want to show my TA that I really am interested in the class. This way, he'll be more willing to suggest a book to read after Awakenings and The Case of the Frozen Addicts and I can perhaps pick his brain for interesting ideas for my paintings. You can't paint something accurately if you don't understand it.

No comments: